Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vamos, Rafa!

World's biggest Rafa fan! 
My real outfit. 

When: March 8, 2011

What: 
Top photo: 
Hat: Nike
Jacket: Nike (belongs to Paul, which explains the size)

Bottom photo:
Cardigan: J. Crew
Jeans: Levi's
Tank top: Nordstrom B.P.
Belt: Anne Klein via TJ Maxx

Where: Nike Clash of the Champions, Eugene, OR

Why: It's professional tennis. It's a clapping sport. And like any clapping sport (as apposed to chanting sports like football), it is appropriate to look preppy. So that's what I did. I wore Jack Purcells, because to me they are the classic tennis shoe. I woke up yesterday morning and picked out two cardigans. I turned to Victoria and asked, "ok, which one, green or yellow?... oh, darn!" First of all, I don't actually say "darn" but for the purposes of remaining PG now I do. I unconsciously picked duck colors. I ended up going with green. Which was great, because that's what Nadal was wearing. 

If you don't know anything about professional tennis, not much of this will probably make sense. I am a HUGE Nadal fan. For my Make A Wish, I wanted to meet him, but my advisors told me that I may meet him for only a few minutes. So, I went with something a little more involved, like going to New York City. More on that later, I promise. 

At this event, there were appearances by Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Also, there was a surprise guest appearance by none other than John McEnroe! He received a standing ovation from the crowd. Sharapova and Azarenka played a set, which Azarenka won. After which, she was proposed to by a fan. She demanded that the ring be bigger than Sharipova's. Then, my favorite part, was when the players teamed up for mixed doubles. Federer and Sharipova vs. Nadal and Azarenka. Yellow vs. Green. The players were miked so we could hear all of their comments. Then, through some coaxing, they were able to get McEnroe to be the umpire and he asserted that he "had never stooped so low." He proceeded to give the players a hard time. The tennis was great, but the camaraderie between the players was better. I was really able to get a perspective that these athletes are real people. Yellow team won the mixed doubles. Then, Nadal and Federer played a set, which Nadal won. Everyone won a set, one way or another. I had such a great time, especially because it was with Paul. Ha ha, I call him "Paul Nadal" sometimes. A girl can dream...



3 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like you had fun! I liked your outfit better with the jacket on. Looks more sporty and suitable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the rafa outfit was definitely more fun to wear, but Paul wanted his jacket back. The outfit with the cardigan is definitely more ME.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say!
Questions, comments, and feedback are all appreciated.

Always, Lakin